Dr. Russell wants to remind all of his patients from throughout the Austin, TX, area that it takes more than simply brushing and flossing at home to enjoy a lifetime of good oral health. While there’s no doubt that we should all be brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once, the whole family also needs to visit the dentist on a regular basis for professional cleanings and exams. The truth is that no matter how diligent you are about your at-home oral hygiene routine, you’ll never be able to remove all the plaque and tartar buildup that accumulates on your tooth surface over time. But there are other important reasons to visit our office at least twice a year for regular cleanings and exams.
Oral Cancer Screening
Enjoying good oral health is much more than simply being cavity-free. Your gums need to be healthy as well. Unfortunately, gum disease is an all-too-common issue for people from throughout the U.S. But this condition is also very treatable as long as it’s caught early on. Checking for periodontal disease is another important part of your oral exam.
What’s Involved in Cleanings and Exams
- Dr. Russell will visually examine your teeth, gums, and existing dental work
- You’ll receive an oral cancer screening, when needed
- We’ll take X-rays, when needed
- Our hygienist may measure the depth of gum pockets around your teeth to assess your gum health
- Your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and polished